Looking for a guide to travel to Portugal? If you still don’t know What is needed to travel to Portugal, we are going to explain everything you have to prepare for entering and leaving Portugal. general information and requirements to travel to Portugal with its customs, laws and limitations in the customs of Portugal. You have available this travel guide with the emergency telephone numbers, the best time to travel to portugal and everything you need to know to travel safely.
General information of Portugal
With the current situation you may have to fill out some kind of form to travel to Portugal or covid Portugal requirements, so we recommend you check What is needed to travel to Lisbon or any destination in the country in this travel guide.
Guide to travel to Portugal entry requirements
These are the Portugal entry requirements:
- Passport valid for at least 6 months at the time of entry and until the date your trip ends.
- Return or tourist circuit ticket with closed dates (less than 90 days).
- Justify the reason for your trip and check that you have sufficient financial means to cover the costs of your stay. It is necessary to accredit economic resources for at least €580.77 euros for the first 9 days plus €64.53 euros for subsequent days. Bank debit cards, account statements, traveler’s checks, cash are means of verification.
- Proof of lodging, they can be hotel reservations, or a Invitation letter of a relative or friend who is a national of Portugal or a resident in the country with address and telephone numbers, to which they must add proof of economic solvency and legal stay in Europe.
- For more information, contact the Portuguese Embassy in your country.
Remember: It is the exclusive power of the Portuguese authorities to grant or deny entry to a foreign person to its territory, even if they have a visa.
Guide to travel to Portugal requirements to leave
Once your stay is over, these are the Portugal exit requirements:
There are no special requirements to leave Portugal.
Customs information Portugal
- Drugs of all kinds, including cannabis, are absolutely prohibited.
- Do not transport protected animal or plant species.
- Regarding the import franchise and tax exemptions, if you come from a country that is not a member of the European Union, you can import goods in your personal luggage up to a maximum value of 430 euros for air or sea transport, or 300 euros, other means Of transport. Children under 15 years of age have a limit of 150 euros, regardless of the means of transport.
- There are limitations on the amount of alcohol and tobacco that can be imported.
- If you plan to enter merchandise with an amount greater than the allowed limits, you must declare the merchandise and present yourself at customs to pay the corresponding taxes and fees. Failure to declare may result in confiscation of goods and fines by customs.
- For more information, see the site of customs procedures.
Portuguese local currency
The legal tender in Portugal is the Euro («€», EUR). This is the only currency accepted in shops, restaurants and service stations.
For more information regarding the local currency or payment methods of the country, consult the section recommendations in money to travel abroad..
Customs of Portugal
Make sure you know the customs of the country so you can know what the best time to visit portugal. Here are the most common.
There is nothing special to take into account.
Is it safe to travel to Portugal?
- If you travel by air, it is recommended that you carry your passport at all times, and not in bags or travel backpacks, since thefts have been recorded during the journey and/or in the airport facilities.
- It is recommended to be especially careful with purses and bags on the historic trams, especially the 15 and 28 in Lisbon, and in Porto, where pickpockets are often theft.
- It is suggested not to leave any bag or backpack hanging on the chairs in restaurants, since there have been cases of theft, in which the diners do not notice their disappearance.
- Generally, robberies occur without violence and those affected do not realize it due to the skill of the pickpockets.
- There have also been cases of glazing in cars in Lisbon and Porto, so it is recommended not to leave valuables inside the vehicles.
Laws of Portugal
- It is recommended that you always carry a copy of your passport with you during your stay, as well as keep a copy in a safe place.
- Illicitly transporting psychotropic substances is typified as a serious crime.
Other recommendations in a guide to travel to Portugal
- Do not forget to notify your bank that you will travel to Portugal, so that they can inform you how to act in case of theft or loss of your credit cards in Portugal, or problems that you could have when withdrawing money with your cards abroad.
- Recommendations and more advice by topic or type of traveler, visit the section of recommendations for your trip abroad of this guide to travel to Portugal.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is the official site for tourism in Portugal?
What are the emergency telephone numbers in Portugal?
European emergency number: 112
What are the compulsory vaccinations in Portugal?
All persons who enter the national territory by any means of transport, regardless of the point of origin or nationality they must compulsorily present a negative COVID-19 test, even if they have a complete vaccination schedule.