Looking for a guide to travel to Jamaica? If you still don’t know What do you need to travel to Jamaica?, we are going to explain everything you have to prepare for entering Jamaica and leaving. general information and Requirements to travel to Jamaica with its customs, laws and limitations in the customs of Jamaica. You have available this travel guide with the emergency telephone numbers, the best time to travel to jamaica and everything you need to know to travel safely.
Jamaican General Information
With the current situation you may have to fill out some kind of form to travel to Jamaica or Jamaica covid requirements, so we recommend you check What is needed to travel to Kingston or any destination in the country in this travel guide.
Recommendations for Jamaica
It is recommended to follow the recommendations of the WHO, among which the following stand out:
- Use insect repellants that contain DEET, Picaridin/KBR, or Citrulline.
- Wear light-colored clothing that covers the entire body as much as possible (long sleeves, pants, etc.).
- Ensure that windows and doors have mosquito nets, and use nets to sleep; also have covered and clean containers to accumulate water.
- There is no specific treatment for the virus, however, it is recommended only to take paracetamol to reduce pain and fever.
- Do not take medications that take away pain such as aspirin, ibuprofen as well as other anti-inflammatory medications.
- People most at risk include: pregnant women, children, the elderly, and people with conditions such as diabetes, heart problems, high blood pressure, and sickle cell anemia.
- For more information about the virus see the section Zika virus situation.
- Inform family and friends about your travel itinerary.
- Follow and heed the instructions of Civil Protection, as well as local authorities.
- Always carry at least a copy of your Mexican passport and an official photo ID and keep an electronic copy of them.
Guide to travel to Jamaica entry requirements
These are the Jamaican entry requirements:
- Passport valid for at least 6 months at the time of entry and until the date your trip ends.
- You must have the details of the hotel or address where you will stay. If you are staying at a private address, you must have the name of the owner, address and telephone number.
- Immigration authorities may request a plane ticket back to your country or to another destination.
- Per instructions from the Jamaican Ministry of Health, persons coming from countries with risk of yellow fever transmission who have travel plans to this country must present upon arrival the yellow fever vaccination certificateeven people who make a stopover in Panama for more than 12 hours must present said certificate.
- Have family, work or financial ties in the place of origin that will allow you to demonstrate your intention to return to your country of origin.
- Have enough money to finance your stay.
For more information, contact the website of the Agency for Passports, Immigration and Citizenship of the Government of Jamaica. (In English)
*** Remember: It is the exclusive power of the Jamaican authorities to grant or deny the entry of a foreign national to their territory, even if they have a visa. ***
Guide to travel to Jamaica requirements to leave
Once your stay is over, these are the Jamaica exit requirements:
There is a tax that is charged to tourists when they leave the country; Generally, this tax is collected by the airlines or cruise lines that provide their services to you.
Customs Information Jamaica
- If you enter with more than $10,000 US dollars or its equivalent in other currencies, you must report it to the immigration authorities at the time of your arrival or departure from that country.
- If you have a medical prescription, it is possible to import medicine into Jamaica for a period of up to 90 days.
- Fresh fruits, vegetables and raw meats cannot be brought into or out of the country and may be confiscated by customs officials.
- The import of Pets and other animals, whether temporarily or permanently, is strictly prohibited in Jamaica.
For more information, contact the website of the Jamaican customs authorities. (in English)
Jamaican local currency
- The legal tender in Jamaica is the Jamaican dollar («$», JMD). This is the only currency accepted in shops, restaurants and service stations.
- Throughout the country there are ATMs that accept different types of cards; the most widely accepted are American Express, Visa, Diners and Mastercard.
For more information regarding the local currency or payment methods of the country, consult the section recommendations in money to travel abroad..
Make sure you know the customs of the country so you can know what the best time to visit Jamaica. Here are the most common.
There are various testimonies of discrimination based on sexual orientation, specifically against same-sex couples. Take the necessary precautions and consult the section LGBTI people.
Is it safe to travel to Jamaica?
The crime rate in Jamaica is medium level, so visitors/tourists are advised to stay alert, especially when unaccompanied, at night, when leaving central and/or main tourist areas, and do not accept invitations from strangers to go to unknown places. Take extreme precautions after going to banking institutions to avoid being a victim of assault; Do not travel with valuables or large sums of money.
- It is recommended that you always carry a copy of your passport with a visa on hand during your stay in Jamaica, as well as obtain a copy of them and keep it in a safe place.
- Although the use and consumption of marijuana (known as “ganga”) can be a frequent practice, this is an illegal activity punishable by local laws.
- Please note that in Jamaica the rules of the road apply as in the UK, this means that traffic travels on the left hand side. Be very careful in roundabouts. Pedestrians must remember to look to the right before crossing streets.
- Driving while intoxicated or under the influence of drugs can get you arrested and jailed, depending on where you are.
- The seat belt is mandatory when traveling by car.
- Visitors who wish to drive a rental car can do so by presenting their valid driver’s license or a driver’s license in international format.
Other recommendations in a guide to travel to Jamaica
- Do not forget to notify your bank that you will travel to Jamaica, so that they can inform you how to act in case of theft or loss of your credit cards in Jamaica, or problems that you could have when withdrawing money with your cards abroad.
- Recommendations and more advice by topic or type of traveler, visit the section of recommendations for your trip abroad of this guide to travel to Jamaica.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is the official site for tourism in Jamaica?
What are the emergency telephone numbers in Jamaica?
Are tourists entitled to free medical care in Jamaica?
Tourists are not entitled to free health care In Jamaica.
What are the mandatory vaccinations in Jamaica?
Is required present a certificate of vaccination against yellow fever; visitors who do not have the same will be denied entry to Jamaica or will be quarantined until a certificate is issued. Those who cannot receive the vaccine for medical reasons must present an authorized exception certificate, once in Jamaica they will be provided with a health alert card and will be asked to report their health status daily, mainly if they have a fever or any other symptom, while the local health authorities will monitor and make visits to verify their health status.