Guide to travel to Georgia
Looking for a Georgia travel guide? If you still don’t know what is needed to travel to georgia, we are going to explain everything you have to prepare for entering and leaving Georgia. general information and Requirements to travel to Georgia with its customs, laws and limitations in Georgia customs. You have available this travel guide with the emergency telephone numbers, the best time to travel to georgia and everything you need to know to travel safely.
With the current situation you may have to fill out some kind of form to travel to Georgia or covid Georgia requirements, so we recommend you check what is needed to travel to georgia or any destination in the country in this travel guide.
Guide to travel to Georgia entry requirements
These are the Georgia entry requirements:
- Passport valid for at least six months at the time of entry and until the date your trip ends.
- Invitation letter in case of lodging in a private address.
- If your trip is for business, you must include the invitation or letter from the Georgia-based company.
- Confirmation of your hotel reservation.
- Have enough money to finance your stay.
Guide to travel to Georgia requirements to leave
Once your stay is over, these are the Georgia exit requirements:
There are no special requirements to leave Georgia.
Georgia customs information
- You must declare the amount of money you bring in currencies other than the local currency.
- Items intended for personal use are allowed free of charge.
- The export of antiquities (including precious stones, coins, manuscripts and works of art), without the permission of local authorities, is prohibited.
- The entry of firearms and drugs is prohibited.
Georgian local currency
The legal tender in Georgia is the georgian lari (GEL).
For more information regarding the local currency or payment methods of the country, consult the section recommendations in money to travel abroad..
Make sure you know the customs of the country so you can know what the best time to visit georgia. Here are the most common.
- Tbilisi is a cosmopolitan city, however, there are more conservative attitudes in rural areas; you should dress and behave modestly in these areas and avoid open displays of affection.
- You must be aware of cultural sensitivities when photographing churches and other religious sites.
Is it safe to travel to Georgia?
- Authorities may ask for some identification while you’re touring Georgia, so it’s a good idea to carry a photocopy of your passport with you at all times and keep the original in a safe place.
- Avoid driving on the road at night due to the possible lack of signage and adequate lighting.
- Avoid traveling to the breakaway regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia and, if possible, stay away from the borders between these areas and the rest of Georgia. If you enter those territories from Russia, you could be subject to sanctions when you are in Georgia.
- Drug use of any kind can result in harsh penalties including fines and long prison sentences; the penalty for drug smuggling is 5 to 25 years and/or heavy fines.
- You must carry a copy of your passport at all times and keep the original in a safe place.
- Do not photograph sensitive sites such as military bases and electrical installations.
- The Government of Georgia does not recognize the unilateral declarations of independence by either South Ossetia or Abkhazia and, in accordance with international law, claims sovereignty over the two territories.
- There is zero tolerance for those who drive under the influence of alcohol.
- It is legal to drive with licenses from European Union countries or with an international license.
Other recommendations in a guide to travel to Georgia
- Do not forget to notify your bank that you will travel to Georgia, so that they can inform you how to act in case of theft or loss of your credit cards in Georgia, or problems that you could have when withdrawing money with your cards abroad.
- Recommendations and more advice by topic or type of traveler, visit the section of recommendations for your trip abroad of this guide to traveling to Georgia.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
What are the emergency telephone numbers in Georgia?
What are Georgia’s required immunizations?
No specific vaccinations are required for tourists to enter Georgia. However, it is recommended to check the official page to obtain updated information from the authorities of that country.