Looking for a guide to travel to Ecuador? If you still don’t know what is needed to travel to Ecuador, we are going to explain everything you have to prepare for entering Ecuador and leaving. general information and requirements to travel to Ecuador with its customs, laws and limitations in the customs of Ecuador. You have available this travel guide with the emergency telephone numbers, the best time to travel to ecuador and everything you need to know to travel safely.
General information of Ecuador
With the current situation you may have to fill out some kind of form to travel to Ecuador or covid Ecuador requirements, so we recommend you check what is needed to travel to Ecuador or any destination in the country in this travel guide.
To make calls to Ecuador
- To landline: 00 + 593 + one digit of the area code + seven digits of the telephone
- To mobile: 00 + 593 + nine digits of the phone
Guide to travel to Ecuador entry requirements
These are the Ecuador entry requirements:
- Passport valid for at least 6 months at the time of entry and until the date your trip ends.
- Have family, work or financial ties in the place of origin that will allow the immigration staff to be convinced that you will return to your country of origin.
- Have enough money to finance your stay.
- For more information, contact Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Human Mobility.
***Remember: It is the exclusive power of the Ecuadorian authorities to grant or deny entry to a foreign person to its territory, even if they have a visa.***
Guide to travel to Ecuador requirements to leave
Once your stay is over, these are the Ecuador exit requirements:
If you exceed the 90 days of authorized stay per year, counted from the first hospitalization, a sanction of 9 months is applied without being able to return to Ecuador.
Ecuador customs information
- If you enter with more than $10,000 US dollars or its equivalent in another currency, you must report it to the immigration authorities at the time of your arrival or departure from that country.
- Merchandise with a value less than or equal to $2,000 US dollars must present the Simplified Customs Declaration (DAS)
- The entry of firearms, tear gas and pepper spray is prohibited.
Local Currency of Ecuador
The legal tender in Ecuador is the American dollar (“$”, USD), since the economy is dollarized. This is the only currency accepted in shops, restaurants and service stations.
For more information regarding the local currency or payment methods of the country, consult the section recommendations in money to travel abroad..
Make sure you know the customs of the country so you can know what the best time to visit ecuador. Here are the most common.
There is nothing special to take into account.
Is it safe to travel to Ecuador?
- Carry a copy of your passport and identity documents with you and save a copy in your email or leave another copy with your relatives, so that they have a reference in case of loss.
- Keep your personal documents and valuables in a safe place.
- The provinces that register the most crimes are Sucumbíos and Esmeraldas.
- Dial 911 to report any emergency or illegal act. The system for receiving reports of theft can be found at the link https://www.fiscalia.gob.ec/denuncias-on-line-para-turistas/
Laws of Ecuador
- It is recommended that you always carry a copy of your passport with a visa on hand during your stay in Ecuador, as well as obtain a copy of them and keep it in a safe place.
- Illicitly transporting psychotropic substances is classified as a serious crime with a sentence of up to 25 years in prison.
Other recommendations in a guide to travel to Ecuador
- Do not forget to notify your bank that you will travel to Ecuador, so that it informs you how to act in case of theft or loss of your credit cards in Ecuador, or problems that you could have when withdrawing money with your cards abroad.
- Recommendations and more advice by topic or type of traveler, visit the section of recommendations for your trip abroad of this guide to travel to Ecuador.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
What are the emergency telephone numbers in Ecuador?
What are the mandatory vaccines in Ecuador?
No particular vaccine is required to travel to Ecuador. However, it is prudent to check the official page to obtain updated information from the authorities of that country.