Looking for a guide to travel to Panama? If you still don’t know What is needed to travel to Panama, we are going to explain everything you have to prepare for entering Panama and leaving. general information and requirements to travel to Panama with its customs, laws and limitations in Panama customs. You have available this travel guide with the emergency telephone numbers, the best time to travel to panama and everything you need to know to travel safely.
Panama General Information
With the current situation you may have to fill out some kind of form to travel to Panama or covid Panama requirements, so we recommend you check What is needed to travel to Panama in this travel guide.
- The requirements of the countries are constantly changing, so it is recommended to consult the official pages of the competent government authorities in the country of destination, as well as the information provided by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php
- Always carry a copy of your Mexican passport and an official photo ID, keep an electronic copy of them.
To make calls to Panama
- To landline: 00 + 507 + seven digits of the phone
- To mobile: 00 + 507 + eight digits of the phone
Guide to travel to Panama entry requirements
- Passport valid for at least six months at the time of entry and until the date your trip ends.
- Evidence of lodging during your stay.
- Have family, work or financial ties in the place of origin that will allow you to demonstrate your intention to return to your country of origin.
- The Panamanian immigration authority may request you at the port of entry check that you have the financial resources for your stay (the minimum amount to check is 500 US dollars in cash).
ENTRY OF VEHICLES
- The driver must apply to Customs for a Vehicle Entry Permitwhich allows the temporary entry of vehicles of foreign origin to the Republic of Panama.
The requirements are:
- Original and copy of the Vehicle Insurance that is valid in Panama.
- Original and copy of the passport of the main and auxiliary driver.
- Original and copy of the title of ownership of the vehicle, issued by the country of origin.
- Original and copy of the notarized authorization of the legal representative, in case the owner of the vehicle is a company or the driver is not the owner of the vehicle.
- To know more about the entry of Vehicles to Panama consult the following link.
***Remember: It is the exclusive power of the Panamanian authorities to grant or deny entry to a foreign person to its territory, even if they have a visa.***
Guide to travel to Panama requirements to leave
- In case of exceeding the 6 months of allowed stay in Panama, a fine of $50 US dollars will be applied.
- If you are traveling with minors of Mexican nationality residing in Panama, it is necessary to carry out the following requirements when leaving the country in case of:
- Absence of one of the parents, present written authorization, notarized by the other parent.
- Absence of both parents, present written notarized authorization from both of them fathers.
- The companion has the guardianship or parental authority of the minor, present authorization from the judge.
- Death of one of the parents, death certificate.
- In all cases, a copy of the minor’s birth certificate or juvenile ID must also be presented.
Customs information Panama
- If you enter with more than $10,000 US dollars or its equivalent in other currencies, you must report it to the immigration authorities at the time of your arrival or departure from that country.
- Visitors can import up to 500 cigarettes or 50 cigars or 500 grams of tobacco as well as three bottles of alcohol.
- If you have a medical prescription, it is possible to import medicine into Panama for a period of up to 90 days.
- The entry of firearms, tear gas and pepper spray is prohibited.
- Food derived from animals, flowers, fruits and vegetables can only be imported with a certificate issued by the Department of Agriculture of the country of origin.
For more information, you can refer to the website of the National Customs Authority from Panama.
Local Currency of Panama
- The legal tender coins in Panama are the Panamanian Balboa («฿», PAB) and the American dollar (“$”, USD). The exchange parity between both currencies is 1 balboa = 1 dollar. However, the US dollar is the official currency in circulation in the country.
- Throughout the country there are ATMs that accept different types of cards; the most widely accepted are American Express, Visa, Diners and Mastercard.
For more information regarding the local currency or payment methods of the country, consult the section recommendations in money to travel abroad of this guide.
Customs of Panama
Make sure you know the customs of the country so you can know what the best time to visit panama. Here are the most common.
There is nothing special to take into account.
Is it safe to travel to Panama?
- Pay special attention to your luggage and your travel documents, specifically your passport.
- Avoid boarding taxis on public roads, especially if it is at night or early in the morning.
- Be careful in the outlying areas of Panama City and in the neighborhoods of Calidonia and El Chorillo, as well as in the city of Colón.
If you go hiking or excursions in wild areas, go accompanied by professionals and keep in touch with local authorities.
- Drug trafficking and transfer of drugs is a serious crime that is punishable by sentences ranging from 80 to 100 months in prison without bail.
- Driving while intoxicated or under the influence of drugs can get you arrested and jailed, depending on where you are.
- It is recommended to always carry your passport with you, since the Panamanian authorities can charge a fine of up to $10 US dollars to tourists who do not carry this document with them in case of a review.
- Visitors who wish to drive a rental car can do so with the presentation of their valid driver’s license or a driver’s license in international format. The seat belt is mandatory when traveling by car.
Other recommendations in a guide to travel to Panama
- Do not forget to notify your bank that you will travel to Panama, so that they can inform you how to act in case of theft or loss of your credit cards in Panama, or problems that you could have when withdrawing money with your cards abroad.
- Recommendations and more advice by topic or type of traveler, visit the section of recommendations for your trip abroad of this guide to travel to Panama.
- The Panamanian authorities offer travel insurance in the event of a medical emergency during the first 30 days of your stay in the country with coverage of up to $20,000 for accidental death, hospitalization and medical expenses for injuries. To make use of this insurance, you must present your passport and entry stamp at the health center.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is the official tourism site in Panama?
The official site for tourism in Panama is https://www.tourismpanama.com/
What are the emergency telephone numbers in Panama?
Emergencies in Panama (National Police): 104
What are the most visited tourist sites in Panama?
Volcan Baru. Sovereignty National Park. Red mud. National Parks.
Bull’s mouths. Coiba National Park. Pacific Riviera. Popular Beaches.
Portobello. El Caño Archaeological Park. San Lorenzo. Channel of Panama.