Are you looking for things to do in Thimphu? Bhutan: 9 Day All Inclusive Himalayan Kingdom of Bhutan Tour, it is a good idea if you are going to visit “Bhutan, Kingdom of” because in this city doing this activity, is one of the things that you should not miss. Currently, Thimphu is one of the most visited destinations in “Bhutan, Kingdom of”, notable for its leisure establishments and activities that you can do throughout the day and is one of the favorite destinations for foreigners. To make your life easier the next time you visit this beautiful city we have prepared the best experience in Thimphu.
Things to do in Thimphu
What to see and do in Thimphu? There are many places of interest to visit in Thimphu, but this time you should not miss in this city.
Bhutan: 9 Day All Inclusive Himalayan Kingdom of Bhutan Tour from €3173.65$
Thimphu Tour Description
One of the things to do in Thimphu, is this experience based on 1 reviews:
“Discover the magic of Bhutan on this blissful 9 days, 8 nights excursion. Immerse yourself in culture and admire the region’s natural wonders, historic monuments, ancient temples and some of the most scenic valleys that Bhutan has to offer.”
What will you do in this Thimphu tour experience?
“Some Tour Highlights; Trongsa Dzong/ Kila Gomba/ Nature Trail Hike/ Phobjikha Retreat/ Fertility Hike/ Punakha Dzong/ Ancient Trail Hike/ Ancient Temples in Bumthang & Retreat/ Khamsum Yueling Hike/ Burning Lake/ Tashichhoe Dzong/ Rinpung Dzong/ Zorig Chusum/ Buddha Gang/ Farmer’s Market/ Archery Match/ Home Visits/ Wangditse Hike/ Gangtey Monastery/ Punakha Dzong/ Tiger’s Nest/ Farmers house & Farewell Dinner…
Day 1 : Arrive Paro International Airport by Drukair or Bhutan Airlines
Welcome to Bhutan “the Land of the Thunder Dragon.” As you touch down, you will be received with “tashi khada” by your guide and driver at the airport and driven to the town for welcome tea and refreshment.
(Please note; your itinerary shall be flexible and you can skip few sightseeing if you wish to rest more. Your guide will give you options based on your interest)
Paro Sights & Thimphu Acclimatization Day!
• After enjoying the view from the old-road airport view-point, get blessings at the oldest temple Kichu lhakhang, built in 629 AD by a Tibetan king.
• Rinpung Dzong “fortress of the heap of jewels.”
• Visit Ta Dzong, an ancient Watch Tower turned into a museum to get the first cultural glimpses of Bhutan.
• In evening drive to Thimphu (drive 1hr). Thimphu is a charming capital city nestled in the heart of the Himalayas.
• Free to roam around Thimphu town on your own or with your guide.
Overnight Thimphu (Alt; 2320m).
Day 2 : Discovering Punakha & Wangdue (78km/ 3hr)
• En route stop by Dochula pass (3150m) to enjoy spectacular views of the eastern Himalayan mountain range.
• Stroll around 108 stupas and enter Drukwangyel (Royal temple).
• Hike along the Metshina village to Chimi lhakhang, a solitary “fertility temple” where a childless couple who comes to pray is usually blessed with a child. Your relationship will be blessed at this temple to grow with each passing years.
• Visit the Punakha Dzong, “Palace of the Great Happiness”. This beautiful fortress lies between two rivers, the Pochu and Mochu, male and female river.
• Walk on the 200m suspension bridge above Phochu river to Gidagom village .
• In evening, time at your leisure.
Overnight Punakha & Wangdue (Alt; 1240m)
Day 3 : Trongsa & Bumthang’s Landscape Tour (197km/ 7-8hr)
• Drive to Trongsa, stopping for mountain-view at Pele La pass (3,300m). It’s common to spot yaks along this pass.
• As you reach Rukubji valley, the houses are clustered amid extensive fields of mustard, potatoes, barley, and wheat.
• En route circumambulate Chendebjichorten, a large white stupa beside a stream.
• Enjoy full view of Trongsa Dzong from Tangsibji.
• Optional; Embark on the Ancient Trail Hike down to the river base and up to the fortress (2.5 hrs walk). Trongsa fortress used to be one of the most powerful Dzong’s of Bhutan and this trail used to be only path for the traveler’s before roads were built.
• Visit Trongsa Dzong; a white fortress that appears to grow directly up from the narrow green ridge.
• The ancient Watch Tower which is now turned into a historical museum
• Drive over one of the most scenically beautiful routes via the Yotong La pass (3425m).
• En route visit Yathra weaving centre in Chumey valley. The hand-woven woolen cloth produced locally.
• Stroll down from the monastery to the river bank and stroll around the peaceful town of Bumthang. Overnight Bumthang(Alt; 2580m)
Day 4 : Bumthang Spiritual Sightseeing
• Jakar Dzong (fortress of the White-bird). It is one of the biggest Dzongs in Bhutan with the surrounding walls about 1 km in circumference.
• After lunch, Hike along a series of ancient and important sites such as, Jambay lhakhang, Kurjey lhakhang, Pema Sambha lhakhang &Tamshing lhakhang. (These temples have many mythical stories linked to its origin and dates back as early as 8th century. Your guide will unfold its mystery as you visit these sites).
• Late noon, take a short hike to Menbar Tsho (the burning lake). This lake is the holiest lake in the country and is believed to be a wish fulfilling lake.
• Wangdichholing Palace; the first palace of the present Wangchuk dynasty and also the first palace that was not designed as a fortress.
• In evening time at your leisure, free to roam around the villages and valley.
Day 5 : Gangtey Rural Expedition (188km/ 5-6hr)
• Drive on different vegetation of alpine, subtropical and glacial. Phobjikha is a glacial valley on the north western tip of the Black Mountain. It’s also one of the roosting grounds of the Black-necked cranes.
• En route visit the Trongsa Dzong, a white fortress that appears to grow directly up from the narrow green ridge.
• Embark on the Nature trail hike across the refreshing Blue-pine forest to Kwewa village (1.5hr hike). Try homemade tea & local snacks at village home. Interact with the monks at Kewa Monastery.
• Visit the Crane Info Centre.
• Free to walk around village or drive to your hotel for rest.
Overnight Phobjikha (2900m)
Day 6 : Phobjikha & Thimphu Happiness Tour (142km/ 4-5hr)
• At dawn, free to walk out into the green valley to enjoy the sunrise.
• Stop at Drukwangyel Cafe for lunch and mountain-view and head to Thimphu. Thimphu is a small, charming capital city nestled in the heart of the Himalayas.
• After check in your hotel and some rest; drive to Buddha Gang, which offers a spectacular view of Thimphu city. This giant Buddha-statue overlooking Thimphu is one of the biggest in the world.
• Circumambulate Memorial chorten (huge stupa). This is the favorite spot for the locals of all age to chant mantras, prostrate, pray and practice their devotion.
• The Tashichhoe Dzong, the main secretariat building, the office of the King and Throne room and also the house of the State Monastic Body.
• In evening, time at your leisure
Overnight Thimphu (Alt; 2320m) (centrally located)
Day 7 : Thimphu Cultural Tour
• Wake up late and have breakfast according to your convenience.
• Drive to Sangay-gang where the national animal of Bhutan, the Takin, is found in captivity. This hill is also called the “romantic point” as lovers often come here to enjoy the panoramic view of the Thimphu valley.
• Embark on a Wangditse hike (1 hr). From the prayer flag decorated area at the start of the trail, you will follow the trail through thick blue pine forest climbing upwards to Choekhortse Goemba. Spend time with each other in nature also enjoying the spectacular view. Carry some tea, juice and snacks.
• Visit the General Post Office. You can create a personalized postage stamps by your own photo for souvenir or sent home on a post card.
• Zorig Chusum “School for Thirteen Traditional Arts and Crafts” followed Craft Bazaar for authentic local handicraft and souvenir.
• Pray with the nuns at Zilukha Nunnery
• Farmers Weekend Market. Try some organic fruits & nuts.
• Witness an Archery Match played by locals with lots of hue & cry at the national stadium.
• In evening, free to roam around the town.
Day 8 : Excursion to Mystical Taktsang
• After a wholesome breakfast, spend the day hiking up the forested path to Taktsang Monastery, also known as Tiger’s Nest, Bhutan’s most famous, spiritual and scenic icon. Tiger’s Nest clings to sheer cliffs of 900m above Paro valley. The climb is steep and takes about 4-5hrs round trip. (Ponies & horses optional)
• Before proceeding to the holy monastery, offer butter lamps at the Cliffside for the wellbeing of all sentient beings.
• Sit together inside the speech room just above the cave where Guru Rimpoche meditated in 8th century. Open your heart and allow yourself to embrace the divine energy circulating at Taktsang and carry the fond experience with you when you fly back home. A sunkey (holy string) and khada will be given to you by a lama before you leave the speech room and Tiger’s Nest.
• Lunch at the hillside cafe with close Tiger’s Nest view.
• In evening, authentic Bhutanese farewell dinner at a typical village home with local liquor called “Ara.”
• Hot stone bath, optional. River rocks are heated and dunked into a large wooden tub with herbs. This type of bath is considered to have medicinal properties of healing.
Day 9 : Depart from Paro International Airport
Our representative will bid you farewell at the Airport. Tashi Delek!”
Check availability here:
Select participants, date and language.
What is your opinion about Bhutan: 9 Day All Inclusive Himalayan Kingdom of Bhutan Tour. Leave us your comments and what do you think of this activity in Thimphu. If you want more information, contact us and we will help you find the best things to do in “Bhutan, Kingdom of”.