Recommendations for your trip abroad

Recommendations to travel abroad minors

Searching recommendations travel abroad minors? Find here everything you need to know about traveling abroad with minors.

All persons intending to travel internationally must have a passport. The issuance of a passport for a minor under 18 years of age requires the consent of the mother and father, failing that, of the person who legally exercises guardianship.

In cases where the girl, boy or adolescent has the right to the nationality of another country(ies), it is important to verify what implications the person traveling to that country could have. It is also important to remember that you should always enter and leave the country with a passport from your country.

Recommendations to travel abroad minors

In the event that a minor undertakes a trip alone or in the company of an adult who is not their father, mother or guardian leaving the national territory, they must have the Minors Exit Format (SAM) which can be generated online and must be signed by one of the persons exercising parental authority or guardianship for validation. This format must be submitted in triplicate accompanied by a photocopy and a copy of the minor’s birth certificate. It is important to point out that the SAM Format can only be used once and is valid for up to 6 months from its issuance to its use. For more information, consult the frequently asked questions section of the website of the National Migration Institute.

In addition, it should be noted that if you travel with minors, the local authorities of the country to which you are traveling -including customs and immigration-, may ask you for documentation that proves that you have guardianship. Make sure you always carry your identification and that of the minor person with you.

In the event that the minor travels unaccompanied -in addition to the requirements already mentioned-, the airline may require completing a special procedure, indicating the person to whom the child or adolescent should be entrusted in the arrival port. During the trip (even if there are stopovers) the minor is in the custody of the airline. The rules and ages of these services vary according to the airline -and they can generate extra costs.

It is also highly recommended to carry a recent photo of the girl, boy or adolescent you are traveling with in your bag or purse for identification purposes, if required.

In the case of traveling with infants, it is important to verify that there are hygienic, food and medical products that you may need at the destination. In case of doubt, it is recommended to carry enough of these products at least as long as a substitute is found.

In the case of births abroad, it is highly recommended to register the person with the nearest Mexican consulate or embassy to obtain a Mexican birth certificate and passport.

Recommendations to travel abroad minors

Return of minors and international adoptions

If your child traveled to another country and you have a well-founded suspicion that they have been held there without your consent, it may be a case of international abduction. In those cases, it is possible to start a process for the international return of the minor using the mechanisms provided in the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction and the Inter-American Convention on the International Return of Children.

In cases where you want to carry out an international adoption, it is important to know that your country is a Party to the Hague Convention on the Protection of Children and Cooperation in Matters of International Adoption, so that all adoptions from this type that are carried out between our country and another must be carried out by said procedure.

For more information on international restitution and/or international adoption of minors, you can contact the Family Law Directorate of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button