Looking for a Bahamas travel guide? If you still don’t know What do you need to travel to the Bahamas?, we are going to explain everything you have to prepare for entering the Bahamas and leaving. general information and Requirements to travel to the Bahamas with its customs, laws and limitations in the customs of Bahamas. You have available this travel guide with the emergency telephone numbers, the best time to travel to bahamas and everything you need to know to travel safely.
With the current situation you may have to fill out some kind of bahamas travel form or Bahamas covid requirements, so we recommend you check What is needed to travel to – or any destination in the country in this travel guide.
Given the increase in demand in the construction sector, it has been detected that foreigners are brought to the Bahamas with the promise of a stable and well-paid job. However, after their arrival, Mexicans have reported poor working conditions, including unpaid wages or incomplete payments, lack of medical coverage in case of work accidents, as well as other violations of labor rights.
Guide to travel to Bahamas entry requirements
These are the Bahamas entry requirements:
- Passport valid for at least 6 months at the time of entry and until the date your trip ends.
- You must have the details of the hotel or address where you will stay. If you stay at a private address, you must have the name of the owner, address and telephone number.
- Immigration authorities may request a plane ticket back to your country or to another destination.
- Have family, work or financial ties in the place of origin that will allow the migratory staff to be convinced that they will return to their country of origin.
- Have enough money to finance your stay.
For more information, contact the website of the Bahamian Government. (in English)
***Remember: It is the exclusive power of the Bahamian authorities to grant or deny the entry of a foreign national to its territory, even if they have a visa.***
Guide to travel to the Bahamas requirements to leave
Once your stay is over, these are the Bahamas departure requirements:
- There is a Bahamas departure tax for residents and visitors (over 6 years of age) of $20 US or Bahamian dollars.
- Generally the tax is included in the cost of the plane ticket.
- Visitors traveling with a connection in the United States must pass through an immigration control of that country before their departure from the Bahamas.
Bahamas Customs Information
- If you enter with more than $10,000 US dollars or its equivalent, you must report it to the immigration authorities at the time of your arrival or departure from that country.
- If you have a medical prescription, it is possible to import medication into the Bahamas for a period of up to 90 days.
- Fresh fruits, vegetables and raw meats cannot be brought into or out of the country and may be confiscated by customs officials.
- The import of Pets and other animals, whether temporarily or permanently, is strictly prohibited in the Bahamas.
For more information, see the website of the Bahamian Government. (in English)
Bahamas local currency
The legal tender in the Bahamas is the Bahamian dollar (“$” or “B$”, BSD).
For more information regarding the local currency or payment methods of the country, consult the section recommendations in money to travel abroad..
Make sure you know the customs of the country so you can know what the best time to visit bahamas. Here are the most common.
There are various testimonies of discrimination based on sexual orientation, specifically against same-sex couples. Take the necessary precautions and consult the section LGBTI people.
Is it safe to travel to the Bahamas?
- The crime rate in the Bahamas is relatively low; however, it is recommended to stay alert, especially when you are unaccompanied at night, when leaving the central and/or main tourist areas, and not accept invitations from strangers to go to unknown places.
- Take extreme precautions after going to banking institutions to avoid being a victim of assault.
- Do not travel with valuables or large sums of money.
- It is recommended that you always carry a copy of your passport with a visa on hand during your stay in the Bahamas, as well as obtain a copy of them and keep it in a safe place.
- Even though it is common to receive drug offers in bars or public places, the possession and trafficking of narcotics are crimes severely punished by local authorities.
- Keep in mind that in the Bahamas the rules of the road apply as in the United Kingdom, this means that traffic travels on the left hand side.
- Be very careful in roundabouts.
- Pedestrians must remember to look to the right before crossing streets.
- Driving while intoxicated or under the influence of drugs can get you arrested and jailed, depending on where you are.
- The seat belt is mandatory when traveling by car.
- Visitors who wish to drive a rental car can do so by presenting their valid driver’s license or a driver’s license in international format.
Other recommendations in a guide to travel to the Bahamas
- Do not forget to notify your bank that you will travel to the Bahamas, so that they can inform you how to act in case of theft or loss of your credit cards in the Bahamas, or problems that you could have when withdrawing money with your cards abroad.
- Recommendations and more advice by topic or type of traveler, visit the section of recommendations for your trip abroad of this guide to travel to the Bahamas.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
What are the emergency telephone numbers in the Bahamas?
What are the mandatory vaccinations in the Bahamas?
It is recommended to check the official page to obtain updated information from the authorities of that country.