Guide to travel to Romania
Looking for a guide to travel to romania? If you still don’t know What do you need to travel to Romania?, we are going to explain everything you have to prepare for entering Romania and leaving. general information and Requirements to travel to Romania with its customs, laws and limitations in Romanian customs. You have available this travel guide with the emergency telephone numbers, the best time to travel to romania and everything you need to know to travel safely.
|Capital||Romania (See map)|
|Visa?||not for tourists|
General information of Romania
With the current situation you may have to fill out some kind of form to travel to Romania or covid Romania requirements, so we recommend you to check What do you need to travel to Romania? or any destination in the country in this travel guide.
In relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Romanian authorities decreed the end of the state of alert as of March 9, 2022. Therefore, it is no longer necessary to quarantine, wear masks, present the vaccination certificate or a PCR test to enter Romanian territory, nor complete the location form (PLF). However, it is recommended to wear a mask in congested places.
Guide to travel to Romania entry requirements
These are the Romania entry requirements:
- Passport valid for at least 6 months at the time of entry and until the date your trip ends.
- Have family, work or financial ties in the place of origin that will allow you to demonstrate your intention to return to your country of origin.
- Have enough money to finance your stay.
- Lodging supporting document. They can be hotel reservations, or a Invitation letter of a family member or friend who is a national of Romania or resident in the country with address and phone numbers, to which they must add evidence of economic solvency and legal stay in Europe.
For more information, see the website of the General Inspectorate for Immigration of the Romanian Ministry of Internal Affairs (in English).
***Remember: It is the exclusive power of the Romanian authorities to grant or deny entry to a foreign person to its territory, even if they have a visa.***
Guide to travel to Romania requirements to leave
Once your stay is over, these are the exit requirements from romania:
There are no special requirements to leave Romania.
Customs information Romania
- If you enter with more than $10,000 US dollars or its equivalent in other currencies, you must report it to the immigration authorities at the time of your arrival or departure from that country.
- The entry of firearms, tear gas and pepper spray is prohibited.
- Drugs of all kinds (including cannabis) are absolutely prohibited.
- Do not transport protected animal or plant species.
For more information, see the website of the General Directorate of Customs or with the border police.
Romanian local currency
The legal tender in Romania is the new leu (RON). This is the only currency accepted in shops, restaurants and service stations. However, the US dollar, the euro and the British pound are widely accepted.
For more information regarding the local currency or payment methods of the country, consult the section recommendations in money to travel abroad..
Make sure you know the customs of the country so you can know what the best time to visit romania. Here are the most common.
There is nothing special to take into account.
Is it safe to travel to Romania?
- Most of the roads are narrow and relatively dangerous. Winter driving is not recommended.
- Romania is a safe and stable country, it is not a confirmed target of possible terrorist attacks, nor is it a country of flow or destination of migrants. The rule of law is solid and the prevention and law enforcement authorities are trustworthy.
Laws of Romania
- It is recommended to always carry a copy of your passport with a visa at hand during your stay in Romania, as well as to obtain a copy of them and keep it in a safe place.
- Transporting psychotropic substances is typified as a serious crime.
- It is mandatory to wear the seat belt in the front seats of the vehicle.
- Children under the age of 12 are prohibited from riding in the front seat.
Other recommendations in guide to travel to Romania
- Do not forget to notify your bank that you will travel to Romania, so that they can inform you how to act in case of theft or loss of your credit cards in Romania, or problems that you could have when withdrawing money with your cards abroad.
- Recommendations and more advice by topic or type of traveler, visit the section of recommendations for your trip abroad of this guide to travel to Romania.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is the official site for tourism in Romania?
What are the emergency telephone numbers in Romania?
Red Cross: +40213176006 extension: 105