Looking for a Guide to travel to Burkina Faso? If you still don’t know What do you need to travel to Burkina Faso?, we are going to explain everything you have to prepare for entering Burkina Faso and leaving. general information and Requirements to travel to Burkina Faso with its customs, laws and limitations in the customs of Burkina Faso. You have available this travel guide with the emergency telephone numbers, the Best time to travel to Burkina Faso and everything you need to know to travel safely.
General information of Burkina Faso
With the current situation you may have to fill out some kind of form to travel to Burkina Faso or covid Burkina Faso requirements, so we recommend you check what is needed to travel to Ouagadougou or any destination in the country in this travel guide.
To make calls to Burkina Faso
- To landline: 00 + 226 + eight digits of the phone
- To mobile: 00 + 266 + eight digits of the phone
Guide to travel to Burkina Faso entry requirements
These are the Burkina Faso entry requirements:
- Passport valid for at least 6 months at the time of entry and until the date your trip ends.
- The visa must be obtained before the trip, since it is not possible to arrange it upon arrival in Burkina Faso.
- Have enough money to finance your stay.
Guide to travel to Burkina Faso requirements to leave
Once your stay is over, these are the Burkina Faso exit requirements:
- Have a valid passport and prove legal entry to Burkina Faso (usually through the stamp of the immigration agent that is stamped on the passport).
- The airlines also require the visas of the countries through which you will travel.
Customs information Burkina Faso
- You must declare to customs if you are traveling with more than US$10,000 in cash or its equivalent in other currencies and/or money orders or documents receivable.
- Firearms, tear gas, and pepper spray are not permitted.
- Additionally, some fruits, vegetables, honey, eggs, meat, dairy products and plants from other countries cannot be brought into the country.
Burkina Faso local currency
The legal tender in Burkina Faso is the West African CFA Franc («FCFA», XOF).
For more information regarding the local currency or payment methods of the country, consult the section recommendations in money to travel abroad..
Burkina Faso customs
Make sure you know the customs of the country so you can know what the best time to visit Burkina Faso. Here are the most common.
Half of the population is Muslim, so you must be particularly careful to avoid any type of incident for not observing a minimum of respect for said faith.
Is it safe to travel to Burkina Faso?
- It is advisable to hire in advance some means of transport from the airport to the city.
- Passengers on international flights must carry personal identification documents (passport with visa) and present immigration and customs forms when required, as well as the yellow fever vaccination certificate.
- Make sure that the baggage you pick up is yours, compare the number of your password with the one on the baggage.
- Do not leave your luggage unattended in the public areas of the airport. Use the transport services that have a commercial relationship with the airport, such as taxis and car rental companies.
- It is recommended that you choose your lodging in hotels located in the crowded areas of the main cities.
- Do not stray from the tourist circuits and only use the services of authorized guides.
- If you choose to walk, do so in tourist areas avoiding flashy jewelry, high-value electronics, or large amounts of money.
- It is recommended to use the hotel safe and carry a copy of your passport.
Laws of Burkina Faso
- It is recommended that you always carry a copy of your passport with a visa on hand during your stay in Burkina Faso, as well as obtain a copy of them and keep it in a safe place.
- The illicit transport of psychotropic substances is typified as a serious crime.
Other recommendations in guide to travel to Burkina Faso
- Do not forget to notify your bank that you will travel to Burkina Faso, so that they can inform you how to act in case of theft or loss of your credit cards in Burkina Faso, or problems that you could have when withdrawing money with your cards abroad.
- Recommendations and more advice by topic or type of traveler, visit the section of recommendations for your trip abroad of this guide to travel to Burkina Faso.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
What are the emergency telephone numbers in Burkina Faso?
Help: 17 / 1010
Ambulance: 50306644 / 50306645
Firefighters: 50306947 / 50306948
Gendarmerie: 50313339 / 50313340
Police: 50306383 / 50307100
What are the compulsory vaccinations in Burkina Faso?
The application of the yellow fever vaccine is mandatory for entry to Burkina Faso. Hepatitis AB, Tetanus, Typhoid Fever and Meningitis are also recommended.