Looking for a Bhutan travel guide? If you still don’t know What do you need to travel to Bhutan?, we are going to explain everything you have to prepare for the entrance to Bhutan and departure. general information and Requirements to travel to Bhutan with its customs, laws and limitations in Bhutan customs. You have available this travel guide with the emergency telephone numbers, the best time to travel to bhutan and everything you need to know to travel safely.
With the current situation you may have to fill out some kind of form to travel to Bhutan or Bhutan covid requirements so we advise you to check What is needed to travel to – or any destination in the country in this travel guide.
Guide to travel to Bhutan entry requirements
These are the Bhutan entry requirements:
- Valid visa.
- Sufficient funds to finance your trip
- Round trip flight check.
- For more information, see the page of the Bhutan Tourism Council.
***Remember: It is the exclusive power of the Bhutanese authorities to grant or deny entry to a foreign person to their territory, even if they have a visa.***
Guide to travel to Bhutan requirements to leave
Once your stay is over, these are the Bhutan exit requirements:
There are no special requirements to leave Bhutan.
Bhutan customs information
- It is forbidden to import any type of products derived from beef cattle, pork, live plants or gold or silver bullion.
- The import and/or export of the following products is strictly prohibited:
- all narcotics and drugs, except prescription medications
- weapons, ammunition and explosives
- wildlife products, especially those from endangered species
Local Currency of Bhutan
For more information regarding the local currency or payment methods of the country, consult the section recommendations in money to travel abroad..
Make sure you know the customs of the country so you can know what the best time to visit bhutan. Here are the most common.
- Visitors should dress modestly and respectfully, especially when visiting monasteries, Dzongs, and other religious institutions. Long pants and long sleeveless shirts must be worn when visiting those places. As a sign of respect, you must enter without hats and caps.
- Shows of affection between couples are not well seen, it is preferable to avoid holding hands and kissing your partner in public.
Is it safe to travel to Bhutan?
- Foreigners are particularly vulnerable to crime, so extreme caution is recommended.
- The theft of objects and the presence of pickpockets on trains and trucks is common. Therefore, it is recommended not to carry large amounts of cash and prefer to make withdrawals from ATMs.
- Never neglect your belongings, in particular your suitcases, especially in places with a large influx of people.
- Do not accept, for any reason, packages or suitcases from strangers.
Laws of Bhutan
- Always carry a personal ID with you. It is preferable not to go out with your passport but with a photocopy of it, along with a card from the hotel where you are staying.
- It is recommended to be cautious when purchasing old and used items, especially those of religious or cultural importance, as such items cannot be exported without a certificate of authorization.
Other recommendations in a guide to travel to Bhutan
- Do not forget to notify your bank that you will travel to Bhutan, so that they can inform you how to act in case of theft or loss of your credit cards in Bhutan, or problems that you could have when withdrawing money with your cards abroad.
- Recommendations and more advice by topic or type of traveler, visit the section of recommendations for your trip abroad of this guide to travel to Bhutan.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is the official site for tourism in Bhutan?
What are the mandatory vaccinations in Bhutan?
No specific vaccinations are required for tourists to enter Bhutan. However, it is recommended to check the official page to obtain updated information from the authorities of that country.